Program GeneralistDecember 18, 2023
Website SEAMAAC, Inc.
JOB TITLE: Civic Engagement Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Community Development
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director
JOB SCHEDULE: Full-Time
EXEMPTION STATUS: Exempt
SEAMAAC welcomes applications for the position of Civic Engagement Coordinator. SEAMAAC is a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia, with the mission “To support and serve immigrants and refugees and other politically, socially and economically marginalized communities as they seek to advance the condition of their lives in the United States.” SEAMAAC envisions a strong and unified society, where immigrants and refugees work alongside other Americans to build shared political, economic and social power.
The Civic Engagement Coordinator provides leadership for SEAMAAC’s Civic Engagement Program, which mobilizes Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) and BIPOC communities in the electoral process. The Civic Engagement Coordinator coordinates nonpartisan program activities including voter registration, voter education, Get Out the Vote, and voter protection. The Coordinator also manages advocacy initatives such as American Community Survey, Census, voter rights, redistricting, and similar projects. The Coordinator oversees project goals, outcomes, evaluation, and quality. The Coordinator supervises the Civic Engagement team and mobilizes community members. The Coordinator represents SEAMAAC in task forces and advocacy coalitions.
· Manage program activities described in “Primary Responsibilities”
· Manage program staff and volunteer pool
· Assist with staff and volunteer recruitment, interviewing, hiring, retention, morale, and performance
- Build relationships and support partner organizations, community organizations, and faith organizations around civic engagement programming
- Mobilize community members around non-partisan civic engagement activities
· Ensure that program goals, deliverables, outcomes, and quality are achieved
· Complete timely program reports and serve as point-of-contact to grant funders
· Facilitate program meetings; represent SEAMAAC at partner meetings with some local and occasional national travel
· Develop program materials such as social media content, presentations, and resources
· Support advocacy and coaltion-building efforts
- Participate in organization-wide work efforts and events at least 5 times per year
· Other duties may be assigned from time to time
Comments: This description is intended to describe the essential job functions. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
· Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree in Political Science, Urban Studies & Planning, Social Policy, or related field preferred.
· Minimum of two years of civic engagement experience and program coordination experience is required.
· Minimum 1 year supervision experience is required.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Experience mobilizing communities and building coalitions around social justice issues
- Experience recruiting and training volunteers, especially around voting rights is desirable
- Knowledgeable about policy issues impacting AAPI immigrant and BIPOC communities
· Experience leading grant-funded projects in a nonprofit organization
· Experience with supervising staff, interns, and volunteers
- Ability to manage time, maintain appropriate boundaries, and prioritize tasks
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Excellent digital skills
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, and group facilitation
- Ability to work with diverse staff as well as a strong commitment to supporting the collective efforts of the team in accomplishing program objectives and goals
- Understanding of privilege and marginalization
· Ability to work independently
- Ability to accurately represent SEAMAAC in nonpartisan coalition work
· Familiarity with Philadelphia and/or PA voting laws and coalitions is highly desirable
· Familiarity with voter registration apps and databases such as VAN highly desirable
· Multilingual skills are highly desirable, including but not limited to Mandarin, Vietnamese, Korean, Hindi, Punjabi, Nepali, Khmer, Lao, Indonesian, Burmese, Karen, Chin, Shan, Rohingya, Spanish, French, Arabic, Pashto, and Dari.
· AAPI and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee regularly is required to sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 5 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the canvassing duties of this job, the employee is regularly expected to be on their feet and/or walking. While canvassing in the neighborhood, there is a potential for interacting with unpredictable community members and inclement weather. This is a hybrid position with some in-person work required.
Necessary Special Requirements: Applicants must undergo criminal, child abuse and health background checks. SEAMAAC will consider all applicants fairly and will review background check results to determine whether they affect the applicant’s suitability for the job. A job offer is contingent upon being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and providing proof of vaccination before start date.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary Range: $45,000 – $54,000; Commensurate with experience
Hours: Primarily during business hours, with occasional evenings and weekends.
Benefits: Health insurance, paid vacation, sick and personal leave.
SEAMAAC is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 – $54,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Civic Engagement: 1 year (Required)
- Supervisory: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: In person
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org